Kazakhstan is a country of beautiful landscapes, rich cultures and friendly warm-hearted people, definitely worth a visit.
Situated in Central Asia, Kazakhstan is an inspirational and unique travel experience, from the vibrant cities to the vast steppe.
In this blog we are going to look at why Kazakhstan is such a great place to visit and when is the best time to go.
What to do in Kazakhstan
Before we look into the best time to visit, let's take a quick look at what Kazakhstan has to offer. It is a land of contrasts, where tradition meets innovation and ancient history coexists with modern life.
Whether you're into nature, culture, or adventure, there's something for everyone. Here are some suggestions:
- Start your journey in the cultural hub of Almaty. You can visit Panfilov Park, the Zenkov Cathedral and the Green Bazaar for a taste of local life.
- Charyn Canyon is often referred to as the Grand Canyon's little brother. You can hike through the stunning rock formations and enjoy the beauty.
- Discover the surreal beauty of Lake Kaindy and its submerged forest. The lake was formed after an earthquake, creating a unique and picturesque setting.
- If you love nature then take a trip to Big Almaty Lake. Surrounded by mountains, the lake's turquoise waters offer an escape from the bustling city.
- For adventure seekers, the Altai Mountains are a paradise. You can go trekking, horseback riding or even eagle hunting with the local Kazakh nomads.
- Science and space enthusiasts shouldn't miss the chance to visit the Baikonur Cosmodrome, the world's oldest and largest space launch facility.
- Visit Turkestan and immerse yourself in history by exploring the ancient city of Turkestan. The Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is definitely a must-see.
- Try Kazakh Cuisine and sample the traditional dishes like beshbarmak (a meat and noodle dish), plov (pilaf), and shubat (fermented camel's milk).
Visiting Kazakhstan in the Low Season - November to March
The low season runs typically from November to March and is Winter in Kazakhstan.
Visiting during this period means it will be quieter with more affordable prices so could be the perfect time for you to travel.
During the low season the weather can be cold, especially in the northern regions, but it also means fewer crowds and a chance to see the country covered in a white blanket of snow. Average temperatures in Almaty during the low season are around -3 degrees
Best Things to Do during the Low Season
- For lovers of winter sports then the low season in Kazakhstan is a paradise with its world-class ski resorts like Shymbulak and Chimbulak.
- Explore the cities, Almaty and Nur-Sultan have lots of indoor attractions, including museums, art galleries and busy markets.
- Immerse yourself in the local culture
- Sample delicious traditional dishes and go shopping.
Visiting Kazakhstan in the Shoulder Season - April to June, September to October
The shoulder seasons run through the spring (April to June) and autumn (September to October) in Kazakhstan. The temperatures at this time of year range from 8 to 26 degrees, the weather is pleasant, there are fewer tourists and there are a wide range of activities to get involved in.
Best Things to Do during the Shoulder Season
- Explore the stunning Kolsai Lakes, hike through the beautiful Altyn-Emel National Park and admire the colourful tulip fields in the Aksu-Zhabagly Nature Reserve.
- Experience the vibrant Kazakh culture during festivals like Nauryz Meyrami (Kazakh New Year) in March or Kurban Ait (Eid al-Adha) in autumn and enjoy traditional music and dance performances.
Visiting Kazakhstan in the High Season - July to August
The high season in Kazakhstan runs from July to August when the weather is at its warmest with temperatures ranging from 27 to 31 degrees C. The countryside is full of greenery and is the perfect time to get involved in outdoor adventures and explore the diverse landscapes of this incredible country.
Best Things to Do during the High Season
- The high season is the perfect time to put on your boots and venture into the Tien Shan Mountains and go trekking.
- Discover the beauty of Big Almaty Lake, conquer the challenging peaks of Khan Tengri or hike to the stunning turquoise lakes of the Altyn Arashan Valley.
- Camp under the stars and enjoy a night under the starry Kazakh sky by camping in the beautiful Kaindy Lake area or the stunning Aksu Canyon. Experience the tranquility of the wilderness and wake up to breathtaking views.
Is Kazakhstan a good place to visit for tourists?
Kazakhstan can be a fascinating destination for tourists. As the world's ninth-largest country it has a diverse range of landscapes, from the vast steppes to rugged mountains, stunning lakes and even a portion of the iconic Silk Road.
It has a rich cultural heritage and a history influenced by various civilizations and nomadic traditions. You can explore ancient cities like Turkestan and see the remnants of the Silk Road in places like Almaty and Shymkent. The country is home to numerous museums, art galleries and cultural events that showcase its diverse heritage.
Is travelling around Kazakhstan cheap?
Travelling around Kazakhstan is relatively affordable compared to some other destinations. Accommodation, food and transport are generally reasonably priced, so visitors can make the most of their trip.
It's worth noting that English may not be widely spoken outside the major cities so having some basic knowledge of Russian or the Kazakh language can be helpful. Additionally, it's always a good idea to check the latest travel advisories and plan your trip accordingly.
How easy is it to travel around Kazakhstan?
Travelling in Kazakhstan is easy as it has a well-developed infrastructure and transportation network. The cities have all the modern amenities, markets with lots of produce and a range of accommodation options to suit every budget. Moreover, Kazakh people are known for their warm hospitality, ensuring that visitors feel welcome and comfortable throughout their journey.
When is the Quiet Time in Kazakhstan?
For those seeking a peaceful escape with fewer crowds, the months of November, February and March are the quieter periods in Kazakhstan. Although the weather might be colder you'll can explore the country without having to deal with lots of people.
Which is the Best Month to Visit Kazakhstan?
Choosing the best month to visit Kazakhstan depends on your preferences and the things you want to do. If you enjoy winter activities and want to see the country's stunning landscapes covered in snow then December and January are ideal. If you like milder weather then May and September are great times to go. However, Kazakhstan is a country that can be visited all year round, any time you choose to visit you will make a lot of memories.
What is the Rainy Season in Kazakhstan?
Kazakhstan has a relatively dry climate and it does not rain a lot throughout the year. However, if you want to avoid rainfall as much as possible, it's best to plan your visit during the summer months of July and August when rain is less likely.
What is the Hottest Month in Kazakhstan?
Kazakhstan's hottest month is usually July with temperatures reaching their peak during the summer, reaching 31 degrees C and above. It can get a bit too hot to get involved in sightseeing and outdoor activities during this month.
Kazakhstan is a country with something for everyone whenever you choose to go so whether you prefer snow-covered landscapes, the beauty of spring, or the warmth of summer then there's always a perfect time to visit.
Plan your trip wisely, embrace the adventure and create memories that will last a lifetime. Kazakhstan is waiting and is ready to unveil all of its wonders. Happy Travels!!